Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bs View Post
Does he have lighter sweeter whiskeys in his collection? you can try glenlevit 12 or macallan 12. many bourbons are easier to drink.

Drinking whiskey is an acquired taste. if you have problems drinking neat, you can cut it down with ice or water. If that's still strong, you can drink it "highball" style, Use a liberal amount of ice, mix 4 parts carbonated water to 1 part hard liquor. Adjust strength as desired. And if that's still too strong for you, you can substitute ginger beer or ginger ale for the carbonated water. My recommendation would be to try a highball. It mellows out the strong whiskey flavor and makes drinking it more like drinking a beer or something.
He has a Macallan 12 and a Glenlevit 18, but I haven't cared for any of his scotches that I've tried. I definitely find myself tolerating bourbons better.

I do better with whiskey in mixed drinks. I've had an Old Fashioned, a Mint Julep, and a 7 and 7. (The 7 and 7 was thanks to my dad, rather than my husband.) But, when whiskey is mixed with something else, I find myself thinking "This is alright, but the mixer by itself would be better." Maybe I should try drinking it with the whiskey anyway to see if I acquire more of a taste for it over time. Sometimes I feel like I know entirely too much about whiskey to not like it.

Quote:
If he has a group of 8 friends or so willing to go in on a bottle of pappy, they could split it.
He and his whiskey drinking buddies actually put their names in a lottery for a chance to buy a bottle of Pappy's. But, I'm not sure what they'll do if someone's name actually get selected.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
He has a Macallan 12 and a Glenlevit 18, but I haven't cared for any of his scotches that I've tried. I definitely find myself tolerating bourbons better.

I do better with whiskey in mixed drinks. I've had an Old Fashioned, a Mint Julep, and a 7 and 7. (The 7 and 7 was thanks to my dad, rather than my husband.) But, when whiskey is mixed with something else, I find myself thinking "This is alright, but the mixer by itself would be better." Maybe I should try drinking it with the whiskey anyway to see if I acquire more of a taste for it over time. Sometimes I feel like I know entirely too much about whiskey to not like it.

He and his whiskey drinking buddies actually put their names in a lottery for a chance to buy a bottle of Pappy's. But, I'm not sure what they'll do if someone's name actually get selected.
well, it's not for everyone. just like beer isn't for everyone or mixed drinks. Those are all good ways to mix whiskey btw. The 7 and 7 is basically a sweetened highball (sprite instead of carbonated water).

They should buy it. If the store is selling the pappy at anywhere near msrp, they could make a killing on flipping the bottle or they could drink it. Lottery seems to be how those bottles are sold nowadays as the demand outstrips the supply.

Last edited by ~bs; 08-08-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
They should buy it. If the store is selling the pappy at anywhere near msrp, they could make a killing on flipping the bottle or they could drink it. Lottery seems to be how those bottles are sold nowadays as the demand outstrips the supply.
We're in Pennsylvania where the state run monopoly is the only place to buy liquor. So, prices are a little higher than they are in other states, but there's a legal limit to how much they can mark things up. Reselling the bottle would almost certainly be illegal in Pennsylvania, but I'm pretty sure they'd rather drink it than sell it anyway.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
We're in Pennsylvania where the state run monopoly is the only place to buy liquor. So, prices are a little higher than they are in other states, but there's a legal limit to how much they can mark things up. Reselling the bottle would almost certainly be illegal in Pennsylvania, but I'm pretty sure they'd rather drink it than sell it anyway.
The msrp on even the more expensive pappys is still under $200 I think. well worth it IMO at least. lol
Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,309

Quote:
The msrp on even the more expensive pappys is still under $200 I think. well worth it IMO at least. lol
We'd love to taste some of the expensive products some time just to see if we can really tell the difference between a $50 bourbon and a $200 bourbon. I suspect the answer is no. Generally, there is a huge difference between cheap alcohol and moderately priced alcohol but a far smaller difference (that is usually more about personal preference) between the moderate stuff and the expensive stuff. I can't ever see us spending $200 for a bottle.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I believe he entered this lottery for Rip Van Winkle 25 year for $1,899/bottle. (Maybe I was incorrect in calling it Pappy's since it's the more expensive version?) I can see trying it at $200/bottle, especially if shared amongst friends. But, I have a hard time with the idea of paying much more than that for anything short of the elixir of life.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
We'd love to taste some of the expensive products some time just to see if we can really tell the difference between a $50 bourbon and a $200 bourbon. I suspect the answer is no. Generally, there is a huge difference between cheap alcohol and moderately priced alcohol but a far smaller difference (that is usually more about personal preference) between the moderate stuff and the expensive stuff. I can't ever see us spending $200 for a bottle.
I don't know about bourbon, but you definitely can tell with scotch whiskeys. But it also depends on the particular whiskeys themselves, sometimes there isn't much difference despite a large price increase. Bourbons tend to be younger and cheaper in general, so I'm not sure if the market for aged stuff is really there (aside from RVW).

Like anything else in life, the differences tend to become smaller as you go up in price, which you mentioned. The most expensive stuff tends to be valued the way it is based more on rarity than just subjective quality. A bottle of RVW 25years that they only made 710 of? Price is astronomical.

Cost/benefit/taste of:

Free dirty stream water
$1 bottled water
$5 priced bottled water
$1,000,000 bottled water

Last edited by ~bs; 08-09-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I believe he entered this lottery for Rip Van Winkle 25 year for $1,899/bottle. (Maybe I was incorrect in calling it Pappy's since it's the more expensive version?) I can see trying it at $200/bottle, especially if shared amongst friends. But, I have a hard time with the idea of paying much more than that for anything short of the elixir of life.
$1899 is a lot, didn't realize it was for the 25 RVW. Street value of that is probably 10x that price btw. It is illegal for people to resell alcohol, people do anyways. There are legal means to sell, namely certain consignment and auction houses.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The most expensive stuff tends to be valued the way it is based more on rarity than just subjective quality.
Exactly. It costs more solely because they decided to make less of it, not because it's 5 times better than the cheaper bottle.

I'm not about to pay more for something just for the hell of it. If I'm going to spend more, I want to get some sort of premium experience from it. For example, when we were in Cozumel last year, we visited a tequila factory and did a tasting. We fell in love with one of their products. It was $65/bottle and I happily handed over my credit card because the stuff was excellent. Unfortunately, they don't export it so ever since, any time I hear someone saying they are going to Cozumel, I try and get them to pick up another bottle or two or us.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,494

Steve do you think diet has anything to do with Alzheimers? I wish they could figure out some sort of strong links with Alzheimers. For a while it was aluminum, then not. Then teflon, then not. Then this, then that.

And of course there's all these miracle cures. When my dad was diagnosed a few years ago, I probably got a text a week about a new cure. Vitamin this, pure coconut oil, chocolate, blueberries, etc.

Then the new was that coffee wards it off. Excuse me, my dad drank a pot or to a day for decades and he got diagnosed at 73.

-- Steve Martin, "The Jerk".
Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHusker View Post
Steve do you think diet has anything to do with Alzheimers? I wish they could figure out some sort of strong links with Alzheimers. For a while it was aluminum, then not. Then teflon, then not. Then this, then that.

And of course there's all these miracle cures. When my dad was diagnosed a few years ago, I probably got a text a week about a new cure. Vitamin this, pure coconut oil, chocolate, blueberries, etc.

Then the new was that coffee wards it off. Excuse me, my dad drank a pot or to a day for decades and he got diagnosed at 73.
I really don't keep up on the latest research so I'm not sure what current theories are. Personally, I think diet probably pays a role in virtually everything. We're in the early stages of identifying all of the genetic factors but even when a gene is found for a particular disease, there are still outside factors that influence when and whether that gene gets activated. That's where diet, smoking, alcohol use, environmental exposures, and other things come into play. The science just isn't there yet to answer all of those questions.

As for coffee, maybe it is precisely because of his coffee use that he made it to 73 before being diagnosed. Who knows? I know people that have developed Alzheimer's as early as their late 30s and early 40s. We have one friend about our age (early 50s) who has already been in a nursing home for a year or so because his disease was so advanced.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:38 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Quote:
I really don't keep up on the latest research so I'm not sure what current theories are. Personally, I think diet probably pays a role in virtually everything. We're in the early stages of identifying all of the genetic factors but even when a gene is found for a particular disease, there are still outside factors that influence when and whether that gene gets activated. That's where diet, smoking, alcohol use, environmental exposures, and other things come into play. The science just isn't there yet to answer all of those questions.

As for coffee, maybe it is precisely because of his coffee use that he made it to 73 before being diagnosed. Who knows? I know people that have developed Alzheimer's as early as their late 30s and early 40s. We have one friend about our age (early 50s) who has already been in a nursing home for a year or so because his disease was so advanced.
Steve, is it fair to say that many of the medicines used today provide benefit for this or that ailment, yet no one knows exactly why or how?

I see that sort of statement in the fine print on a lot of drug advertisements. That is, "it works but we aren't real sure why."

Old 08-09-2017, 03:25 PM
$ Saving Post Graduate

Forum Posts: 3,439

Quote:
Steve, is it fair to say that many of the medicines used today provide benefit for this or that ailment, yet no one knows exactly why or how?

I see that sort of statement in the fine print on a lot of drug advertisements. That is, "it works but we aren't real sure why."
There's alot of things (including medicines) that simply work, but we can't fully explain why. Often times, they'll "explain" the result as the reason, but that's a fallacy. Simple example: no one fully understands why Tylenol (acetaminophen) is such an effective fever & pain reducer. They have observations that it does this and that within the brain, but no one knows why those things occur.

But that shouldn't dissuade us from using medications with proven safety & effectiveness. After all, there are alot of existential questions in physics & astronomy that were still totally in the dark about, but life still continues on...
Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kork13 View Post
There's alot of things (including medicines) that simply work, but we can't fully explain why. Often times, they'll "explain" the result as the reason, but that's a fallacy. Simple example: no one fully understands why Tylenol (acetaminophen) is such an effective fever & pain reducer. They have observations that it does this and that within the brain, but no one knows why those things occur.

But that shouldn't dissuade us from using medications with proven safety & effectiveness..
I agree with kork13. Yes, there are many medicines for which the exact science isn't fully understood on a bio-molecular level.

A lot of that probably ties back to genetics issues that we're only in the early stages of understanding. There are definitely exciting things happening in this area, known as pharmacogenetics. For example, there is a common blood thinner called warfarin or Coumadin. They have found 2 genes that affect how your body metabolizes the drug, thus affecting the dosage needed to get the desired effect. They have yet to perfect a formula to determine dosage but they're working on it.

Diabetes is another big area. Our understanding of the cellular basis of diabetes is tremendous today compared to what it was when I went through medical school, at which point we knew virtually nothing except the pancreas wasn't making enough insulin (or so we thought). We only had 2 drugs to treat diabetes at that time: insulin and pills designed to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin. Since then, we've learned all sorts of things about the defects that occur in diabetics and we've gotten a bunch of new classes of drugs to address them.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Quote:
I agree with kork13. Yes, there are many medicines for which the exact science isn't fully understood on a bio-molecular level.

A lot of that probably ties back to genetics issues that we're only in the early stages of understanding. There are definitely exciting things happening in this area, known as pharmacogenetics. For example, there is a common blood thinner called warfarin or Coumadin. They have found 2 genes that affect how your body metabolizes the drug, thus affecting the dosage needed to get the desired effect. They have yet to perfect a formula to determine dosage but they're working on it.

Diabetes is another big area. Our understanding of the cellular basis of diabetes is tremendous today compared to what it was when I went through medical school, at which point we knew virtually nothing except the pancreas wasn't making enough insulin (or so we thought). We only had 2 drugs to treat diabetes at that time: insulin and pills designed to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin. Since then, we've learned all sorts of things about the defects that occur in diabetics and we've gotten a bunch of new classes of drugs to address them.
Funny you mention diabetes. Friend of mine is a lifetime diabetic and nearly died because his pancreas went bad. Voila! Pancreas transplant and no more diabetes - he's essentially cured!

Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 AM
$ Saving Kindergartener

Forum Posts: 2

My vice...Hmm...It`s difficult to say...
Maybe, coffee?... I began drinking coffee twice a day. It never happened before. I start being nervous about it.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,499

Vices, well definitely no alcohol. I've had two sips in my life. The first I thought was a cup of punch with 7up in it. Nope the lady who thought it was wonderful told me it was dry burgundy and 7up. I finally understood what they mean about 'dry' drinks. Immediately felt like a dust bowl in my mouth. Anyhow I don't drink, never did and never wanted to and since half my meds warn about not drinking while taking them, I don't have to deal with cravings for it on top of my pain patch!

I don't drink coffee. I think it is nasty and I have had coffee right at the coffee farm in Colombia where it was made.

I do drink occasional hot tea or will get ice tea that I sweeten myself if it is early in the afternoon so the caffeine won't affect my sleep.

Rarely drink pop since I stopped working and if I do it is caffeine free.

I get my caffeine daily dosage requirement from chocolate with nuts, either Hershey mild chocolate and almond nuggets or M&M's peanuts. I got some big bags of M&Ms yesterday on sale, with a coupon for $1 off and ended up spending $1.69/bag which is a bit more than a small single serve bag.

My other huge vice is magazines and books and sewing paraphernal. Anything to do with quilting, sewing, embroidery. I want it. Much of what I have, I have gotten super cheap, but that is what I spend my spare money on. Also sewing machines. I think I am on my 9th or 10th modern machine and have about 6 vintage ones that don't work but they are decoration. Well one might work but my latest machine does so much why use a machine that doesn't even do a zig zag stitch? I am waiting for the day that make a machine that dispenses chocolate though, I will have to buy it. Because my store is all about sewing, most of my sewing related purchses are tax deductible.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 733

With the legalization and proliferation of recreational marijuana in California and elsewhere throughout the US, I am surprised that no one here admitted to smoking marijuana or consuming its edibles. In the early 80's I have been known to smoke a few. I remember an ounce costing $1000 back then but never could afford such a huge quantity so purchased maybe a 1 gram bag at a time for $30. Today with the legalization of marijuana an ounce can be bought for $400, not including taxes. California passed a law making recreation use of marijuana legal beginning in January 2018. I may partake in its use again when the new year comes around by consuming a cookie or chocolate bar infused with marijuana. Sounds like fun (lol).
Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 AM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,499

I am constantly getting emails about MJ. Getting tired of them but don't like doing the unsubscbe thing as I will just get more of them. I didn't use it back then and don't want to use it now. I remember going to Junior High and had to walk past, at times, a group of kids about a block from the school smoking it.

Whether that or cigarettes, I can't believe the price that someone would pay for them. When getting gas yesterday, I noticed that some packs of cigarettes were almost $7/pack! How do people afford that? Yet it seems like the poorest folks smoke. Funny though, without cable we get MeTV and so many of those old shows people were smoking non-stop on the show, especially our favorite Perry Mason. When you walked into someone's house and to be hospitable they would offer you a cigarette in their fancy box on the coffee table.

@quarterMillionman - I prefer my brownies and cookies to be laced with walnuts and not hashish! My son considers walnuts to be poison so won't eat anything that they are in and hubby does like them much either. Chocolate and walnuts are one of my favorite flavor combinations.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
With the legalization and proliferation of recreational marijuana in California and elsewhere throughout the US, I am surprised that no one here admitted to smoking marijuana or consuming its edibles.
I don't use drugs. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't post about it on the internet.
ladonnarosso likes this.