Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Frugal Questions and Answers

Frugal Questions and Answers Frugal ideas and questions. The place to learn how to get those costs down.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 AM
$ Saving Sixth Grader

Forum Posts: 52

Usually half the time I look at Amazon for things that I need, they are priced higher than my local places. Not saying better deals aren't out there, but I can't seem to find them for what I need. =/
Old 05-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 25,719

Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncentsmike View Post
Usually half the time I look at Amazon for things that I need, they are priced higher than my local places.
I don't know what sort of things you are talking about but that's highly unusual. It is rare for me to find anything (except groceries) cheaper in a local store than what I can get it for on Amazon.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:26 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,565

When you shop amazon you have to look at the different sellers selling the same item. Sometimes I will buy an item that is described as like new condition, it's usually a box with damage to it but the product is 100% new and usually save a lot over the other sellers
Old 05-14-2017, 10:54 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I don't know what sort of things you are talking about but that's highly unusual. It is rare for me to find anything (except groceries) cheaper in a local store than what I can get it for on Amazon.
It isn't unusual for me, which is part of the reason why I canceled Prime. I have 3 Walmarts, 3 Kohls, 2 Targets, 2 Meijers, and 2 Costcos within 10 miles of me. There are things on Amazon that I can't buy in-store around here, but all of the prices are pretty much in line with or better than Amazon for the available things. Walmart is really trying to keep up with Amazon's prices lately, and they have been doing a pretty good job for the things I have been checking on.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
It isn't unusual for me, which is part of the reason why I canceled Prime. I have 3 Walmarts, 3 Kohls, 2 Targets, 2 Meijers, and 2 Costcos within 10 miles of me. There are things on Amazon that I can't buy in-store around here, but all of the prices are pretty much in line with or better than Amazon for the available things. Walmart is really trying to keep up with Amazon's prices lately, and they have been doing a pretty good job for the things I have been checking on.
Now you've got me curious. I'm going to make a list of the last couple dozen items we bought on Amazon and compare prices to Target and Walmart.

We aren't going to stop using Amazon partly because of the huge convenience factor and partly because of all of the Amazon gift cards I get from doing surveys but I do want to see how the prices stack up.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 AM

There was a thread about Walmart price matching not too long ago on slickdeals. In some instances, Walmart beat Amazon's price by quite a few dollars. I believe I was looking for deals on Black and Deck power tools and the thread popped up. I have saved considerably on items from Walmart. Just recently, I bought a few twin sized Intex air mattresses. Walmart has them for $7.97 with free pick up and a 3 month return window. Amazon wants $21.49 for the same thing. I bought a few Gemmy lightshow bulbs for Halloween a few months ago that were over $25 at Amazon and $8 each at Walmart. In fact, I noticed some other ones I wanted were $7.65 each today while I was looking to verify my prices, so I bought more. They are $19.99 at Amazon. Walmart also has free 2 day shipping for orders over $35 without a yearly fee. I just prefer to pick them up in case there is a problem so I can deal with it right then and there.

I don't mean to sound like a Walmart cheerleader, but I'm so frustrated with Amazon that I'm even willing to pay more to not do business with them. I have had to return the last 4 lightening deals because they send the wrong thing. They won't exchange lightening deals, so I have to return it and rebuy it at a higher price. I really think that they are doing this on purpose. I have to return 1,000 poop bags (for my dog, not me!) just the other day because I ordered black and they sent blue. Other things were clearly used, broken, or just the wrong thing entirely.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have to return 1,000 poop bags (for my dog, not me!) just the other day because I ordered black and they sent blue.
Sorry but I just have to ask. Why does it matter what color bags you put poop in?

Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I just have to ask. Why does it matter what color bags you put poop in?
I like to fool myself into thinking that as long as people can't see the outline of poop sitting in the bag, they don't know that I am walking around with a sack of crap in my hand. The blue ones were not opaque.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 561

Quote:
I like to fool myself into thinking that as long as people can't see the outline of poop sitting in the bag, they don't know that I am walking around with a sack of crap in my hand. The blue ones were not opaque.
Can't argue with that.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Anyone who sees a person walking down the street with a dog and carrying a small plastic bag has a pretty solid idea of what's in the bag no matter what color it is.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:45 PM
$ Saving Third Grader

Forum Posts: 16

Buying stuff is all about WHEN you buy them.
Flash sale, one hour sale, couple code that only valid for a couple hours...
all these kind of sales make online shopping great
Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Now you've got me curious. I'm going to make a list of the last couple dozen items we bought on Amazon and compare prices to Target and Walmart.
So I looked at the last 12 items I bought on Amazon that I thought I'd be able to find at Walmart.com. I was able to find 9 of the 12.

Walmart was cheaper on 3 of 9 items, exactly the same on 1 of 9, and more expensive on 5 of 9.

The 9 items on Amazon cost a total of $87.74.
The 9 items at Walmart cost a total of $102.04, a difference of $14.30.

I'd say the lesson is to not just assume that Amazon, or Walmart, always has the best price. If you don't mind shopping around, check both sites before buying. If you want generally lower prices overall, Amazon is probably still your best bet.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:11 AM
$ Saving Third Grader

Forum Posts: 16

I buy everything online, second-hand if I can... I even found my current home online instead of going to a real estate agent
Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 PM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 197

I bought a shirt on Amazon as a gift and the shirt unfortunately was not well received. So I went through the process to return it for a full refund since I have Prime, and I was shocked when I got the following message:

Your refund has been process. No need to return the item.

Guess it just wasn't worth it to them for the $20. Definitely the first time I had that happen
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 PM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,487

not everything is returnable for free from amazon.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post

I get to keep a lot of stuff from amazon, most recently the foam mattress I'm sleeping on, it was advertised as 10" but when I got it it measured 8", sent an email explaining the problem, they sent the refund and I kept the bed

My brother just bought a bedroom set for $1800 from an online furniture dealer, one night stand arrived with a ding in it, they sent him a whole new set and he kept the old one
Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
Very true. I think that's a common misconception. Things are only returnable free if either they are advertised as such or they are damaged or defective. If you buy something and find you just don't like it, you have to pay to return it.

I did that a few months ago. I bought a sound bar for our family room but neglected to review the specs. It arrived and was way too big so I had to send it back and pay for return postage.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 PM
$ Saving College Senior

A few weeks ago when we were in Waikiki we stopped into the Coach store and my wife saw a watch she wanted, marked down 40% to $185. Needless to say we didn't buy it, went home and looked it up on eBay and there it was for $127 shipped with a "make offer" option, I offered $100 and after a few rounds of negotiations we settled on $109, used eBay bucks for a 10% rebate and it knocked it down to under $100. Just got it today and it's just as nice as that $185 + tax watch
disneysteve likes this.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 AM
$ Saving College Senior

One thing I bought in a BM store last week was kitty litter for my moms cat, 40 pounds but I've actually bought that online too from Walmart, price was the same as in the store and I figured I wouldn't have to make a trip there for it. UPS guy wasn't happy when he had to lug up 100 pounds of boxes to the porch with one of them leaking kitty litter. It didn't cost me any extra to buy online but look at all the commerce it created