Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Everything Else Financial

Everything Else Financial If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums, it goes here.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2017, 01:19 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 842

I answer phones for a living and I get all sorts of couples; I am very formal on the phone and use honorifics when I can - I often fall back on Mz. when the married couple do not share last names (and are women), when it is 2 men Mr. works fine. The miss, mrs., mz tricotomy is a hangover from the the old days; at least we do not have to memorize which nouns are feminine and which are masculine (and who decides which is which when new words are added?).

**edit**
Historical research in Spanish countries is complicated by the fact that a person carries both mother's and father's last name and depending on who is referring to them either last name can be first. Example: my mother's family name is Old and my father's is Man so my mother's family would refer to me as Grumpy Old Man whereas my father's family would refer to me as Grumpy Man Old. Russian is worse - a person can have 12 first names because how you are called is dependent on what the caller's relationship is to you. I tried to read a direct translation of Dr. Zhivago and lost track of everyone - I think I was only 2 pages in when I knew I was out of my depth.
Like2Plan likes this.

Last edited by GrimJack; 05-28-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:50 PM
$ Saving Fourth Grader

Forum Posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl584 View Post
When I was in high school, we had a male substitute teacher that took his wife's last name when they got married. This was in the mid 90's, and everyone found it a bit odd. Especially us narrow minded teenagers. But, still to this day I've never run into another man that has taken his wife's name. It was unique to say the least.

It's cool but could it be legal? I just wonder...
Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 613

If a guy can legally change his name to Tyrannosaurus Rex, I'm sure he can take his wife's name. Yes, Google it.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,192

My brother just celebrated his first anniversary. I totally forgot that she didn't take his name and didn't remember until I had written Mr and Mrs on the envelope of the card. So I put both first names and hyphenated the last names and wrote SORRY in huge letters on the other side, lol.

I'm slightly sad she didn't take my brother's name because he is the last male to have our last name in the family. He was the last chance to carry on our name. But if they have a healthy kid, who really cares what he/she is named?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,309

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA View Post
I'm slightly sad she didn't take my brother's name because he is the last male to have our last name in the family. He was the last chance to carry on our name.
Just because she didn't change her name doesn't mean their children won't have his surname. Hopefully, that's something they have discussed. I know couples where the kids have the father's name, others that have the mother's name, and still others who have a blended last name.

Where it gets weird/awkward, is when the kids have the father's name and then the couple gets divorced. The mother is stuck with a kid whose last name is that of her ex who she may not have a good relationship with. Then they have to decide if they want to legally change the kid's last name. Just gets messy.
FLA likes this.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM
$ Saving Sixth Grader

Forum Posts: 65

wow, outdoorsyguy! An honor, sign of mentally unstable?
Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 AM
$ Saving Jr. High Schooler

Forum Posts: 87

Why would a woman have such a hard time changing her name? Since it should be no big deal for her to change her last name and take her husbands, it also shouldn't be a big deal for her to keep her last name... If my wife was very stern about keeping her last name, I would want to dig deeper and find out what the real reason is. I feel like an old soul though, very traditional. I work hard and bring home the money, and she cooks and cleans, etc. I will still cook and clean but for the most part she does it. She also stays at home with the kids though.

Instead of her keeping her last name, we have her family names in our children's middle names. One of our boys have her last name as his middle name. Another one of our boys have her grandfathers name as his middle name. She is happy with it.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:42 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme000 View Post
Why would a woman have such a hard time changing her name? Since it should be no big deal for her to change her last name and take her husbands, it also shouldn't be a big deal for her to keep her last name... If my wife was very stern about keeping her last name, I would want to dig deeper and find out what the real reason is. I feel like an old soul though, very traditional. I work hard and bring home the money, and she cooks and cleans, etc. I will still cook and clean but for the most part she does it. She also stays at home with the kids though.

Instead of her keeping her last name, we have her family names in our children's middle names. One of our boys have her last name as his middle name. Another one of our boys have her grandfathers name as his middle name. She is happy with it.
Not wanting to do something is not the same as "having such a hard time" with something. It shouldn't be a big deal if women other than your wife don't want to change their name, as it does not affect you.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannMerletta View Post
It's cool but could it be legal? I just wonder...
Of course it's legal. Anyone can change their name.