Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Everything Else Financial

Everything Else Financial If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums, it goes here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Fishindude77
  • 1 Post By msomnipotent
  • 1 Post By snafu
  • 1 Post By Captain Save
  • 1 Post By HundredK

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2016, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,618
Default Is Organic Food Really Healthier?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-...ier-2016-12-01

Is organic food really healthier?

Published: Dec 2, 2016 3:32 a.m. ET

The majority of Americans think organic food has more nutritional value, a new study found.

By

Kari
Paul

Reporter

 

When you load up your shopping cart with organic leafy greens, are you getting more nutritional benefits than consumers on the other side of the produce aisle? More than half of Americans now believe organic food is healthier than conventionally-grown produce, even though there is no evidence to prove it.

Fifty-five percent of Americans said they believed organic food to be more nutritional, a recent Pew Research Center study found — and of the 40% of Americans who say that “some” of the food they buy is organic, 75% do so because they believe it is healthier.

“That is what 20 years of intensive marketing will do,” said Steve Savage, an agriculture expert and writer on farming and sustainability. Organic farming sales hit record highs in 2015, up 11% from the previous year at $43.3 billion, and is now more profitable than traditional farming. Despite the craze for organic food, Savage says there is no proven scientific reason to believe there are health benefits to opting for it. One 2012 study from Stanford University reviewed 237 top papers on the topic and found no evidence of a significant difference in health benefits between produce grown organically versus conventionally grown food.

“Many people believe organic is safer, but that belief is not based on any facts,” he said. “For the most part, if people saved their money and bought more fruits and veggies they would be better off nutritionally.”

In this particular survey, nutritional value was cited as the main reason to purchase organic, but consumers also do so because they believe it has fewer pesticides. Savage said this is not necessarily true. Although organic farmers are required to steer clear of synthetic fertilizers, they are allowed to use other tools that could be relatively toxic, despite being considered organic — copper sulfate, for example, is USDA-approved to be used as fungicide. Organic farming is also not necessarily better for the environment than traditional farming, according to Scientific American magazine, which has studied science discoveries and technology innovations since 1845. And organic farming methods are more resource-intensive and don’t work well with no-till farming methods, which minimize long-term effects on soil quality. Many organic products are also imported from abroad, leading to additional safety and regulation concerns.

Savage said he worries the growing consumer doubt in non-organic food systems can lead to poor dietary choices. One study showed low-income families in Chicago actually avoided buying produce at all because they could not afford organic food and and believed non-organic varieties were unhealthy.

“People are doubting the food supply — and that is one thing for people who can afford to spend money on something that isn’t true — but low-income people now either hesitate to buy produce or buy less than they might otherwise buy because this image that has been created that it is not safe.”

However, Cary Funk, an associate research director at Pew Research Center and author on the study, said although the majority of Americans now think organic food is healthier, that doesn’t necessarily mean those people are buying organic produce. Millennials, for example, were more inclined than older adults to consider organic food better for one’s health but were no more likely to purchase it.

Unlike many studies in the past, this survey found attitudes toward organic food are not split by political views or other demographics, but based largely on beliefs about health and the food system in general — 81% of people who care a great deal about genetically modified food think organics are healthier than traditionally grown produce, for example.

“These divisions in how people think about food and well-being seem to reflect more personalized concerns about the role of food in people’s health and well being rather than politics or other divides,” Funk said.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:37 AM
$ Saving HS Junior

Forum Posts: 228

The 'expert' quoted in the study has spent much of his time working for companies that produce pesticides so I would take this with a grain of salt. I do think it isn't black and white, but with the amount of chemicals sprayed on non-organic veggies, it isn't a risk I'm willing to take.

More studies are also pointing to the evidence that vegetables grown without pesticides are more nutrient rich.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...o-the-evidence

I buy mostly organic because I buy mostly locally produced vegetables. They aren't certified organic because they don't pay for that label, but I know the farmers and I meet the chickens that lay the eggs we eat. They are as free-range as can be -- no fences.

We need to continue to demand testing to make sure the chemicals we spray our food with are safe not only to us but to our environment -- we still don't know exactly what is getting to the bees.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

Forum Posts: 42

Yes but more expensive.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 805

It's good for weight loss ...... in your billfold.
disneysteve and HundredK like this.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 AM
$ Saving Jr. College Student

Forum Posts: 480

I just can't understand why someone would think that organic means more nutritious. An orange is an orange and it can't be made to be anything different unless it was genetically modified (and then can't be labeled as organic). Organic means it wasn't hosed down with unapproved pesticides and isn't GMO. That's it. It doesn't even mean that it is pesticide-free.

I also wouldn't believe the study that is cited in the article. Scientific American also stated that organic farming DOES improve the soil and CAN improve yields. It just depends on who is funding the study.

The bottom line is do you want to eat those pesticides? I don't. I also don't pay an arm and a leg for organic. If you want to buy fresh, buy in season. If you buy frozen, buy in bulk. I usually pay the same or less for organic foods. When I have to pay more, it is only a little more than conventional. I guess I'm blessed with more grocery stores than I can shop at around here.
creditcardfree likes this.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 3,977

I wish they could do a reasonably accurate study to identify how much, healthy organic, leafy green, yellow or other vegetables are actually consumed and how much grows limp and unpleasant in the fridge to eventually be thrown out.
HundredK likes this.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Forum Posts: 990

Just because it is organic doesn't mean it is healthy. Pretty sure Organic cane sure will still cause diabetes if you gorged out on it. lol

I'm all for more organic stuff, but at the end of the day you just need to do the best you can. You are better off taking detox minerals and such like DE. It's cheaper. haha

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 PM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 155

Organic.. is not a thing .. Organic is the way food was supposed to be .. "conventional" is the altered version of the natural product.. I can tell you that my GI doctors who believed that Ulcerative colitis had nothing to direct ... now are talking about how eating organic and pesticide free can improve UC ..
creditcardfree likes this.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:41 PM
$ Saving HS Senior

Forum Posts: 331

Organic means nothing to me. I look at where the food was grown and try to buy local if possible, which is usually cheaper anyway. Sustainable local farming is way more meaningful than an organic label. Know your farmer, know your food.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:23 PM
$ Saving Jr. College Student

Forum Posts: 428

Yes but some things like kidney beans are still ogranic by nature.

If I don't buy organic, it is always a fruit or vegetable with a thick outder coating I can peel off like a banana. Something the pesticides and drugs don't penetrate as much

This is akin to asking if real food versus drug filled food full of pesticides, addes salt, artificial flavors or colors, basically drugs, is better. Would you ask if food or drugs injected into food is better?

of course the answer is to go sober with regards to your food. You get plenty of drugs via your water, shampoo, soaps, etc..no need to do more and more drugs
Old 02-06-2017, 05:05 PM
$ Saving HS Senior

Forum Posts: 331

This article pretty much explains my thinking. The organic label just does not mean much anymore. "The small farms that are currently producing the REAL organic food usually don’t even bother to seek USDA Organic certification as it has become cost prohibitive in most cases. Consumers who want true organic food must now seek local farms, local food co-ops or buying clubs for their staples."
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...ss-food-label/
Captain Save likes this.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 25,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteEskind View Post
it's just kinda cool now
There are always food trends. Right now, organic and gluten-free are big fads. I know numerous people who have gone gluten-free and not a single one of them actually has celiac disease. They are spending a ridiculous amount of money to buy a ton of food that tastes awful just because Dr. Oz or some website convinced them that gluten is bad for us even though we've all been eating it for thousands of years.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 PM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
There are always food trends. Right now, organic and gluten-free are big fads. I know numerous people who have gone gluten-free and not a single one of them actually has celiac disease. They are spending a ridiculous amount of money to buy a ton of food that tastes awful just because Dr. Oz or some website convinced them that gluten is bad for us even though we've all been eating it for thousands of years.
Celiac disease is not the only disease that has gluten intolerance.. I actually saw a Dr. OZ interview where he warned against the gluten free fad
Old 02-08-2017, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 25,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Save View Post
I actually saw a Dr. OZ interview where he warned against the gluten free fad
That's good to hear.

About 6-7% of the population has a gluten intolerance or wheat allergy but 30-40% of folks are going gluten-free because they believe it has some health benefit, which it doesn't.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.