Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Alternative Investing Strategies

Alternative Investing Strategies Options Trading, Day Trading, Peer to Peer Lending, Franchising, Etc can all be discussed here.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 576

TexasHusker, if you were going to start a franchise now (not including what you are currently in) anything appeal to you?

I was driving around the small town I live in looking at what all is out there. Here is what I noticed.
1. There are many non-franchise storage locations charging a wide range of prices, but no franchise storage locations.
2. The area is saturated with franchise hair places
3. radio shack has a nice strip mall location that is going out of business
4. all the 15 min or less oil change franchises seem to be doing well
5. UPS store type location doesn't look to be doing good.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybus View Post
TexasHusker, if you were going to start a franchise now (not including what you are currently in) anything appeal to you?

I was driving around the small town I live in looking at what all is out there. Here is what I noticed.
1. There are many non-franchise storage locations charging a wide range of prices, but no franchise storage locations.
2. The area is saturated with franchise hair places
3. radio shack has a nice strip mall location that is going out of business
4. all the 15 min or less oil change franchises seem to be doing well
5. UPS store type location doesn't look to be doing good.
You are smart looking for a franchise that isn't already there. That is often where the opportunity lies.

It all depends on how "small" your town is. Here is what I would look at, depending upon your interests and how much you want to be involved:

- Midas or Meineke - extremely profitable (just ask DisneySteve )
- UPS Stores can do VERY well, and work fine with in & out owner.
- Dessert bar - cookie/cupcake type places
- Franchise storage units
- Franchise tutoring/student help (Sylvan, etc.)
- Ice tea and water places - these things can do incredible. Our household alone spends $5 per day for a few cups of iced tea - we are addicted to it.
- Specialty pet supply shop -with all of the brands PetSmart and Petco don't carry - people spend stupid amounts on their pets - this works best in an affluent area
- Specialty toy store - again, affluent areas only. Carry stuff you can't get at Walmart. These stores can do fantastic.
- Money Store type places - if you can stomach this these things make lots of $$$.

There's a thousand other things.

-- Steve Martin, "The Jerk".

Last edited by TexasHusker; 05-10-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 AM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHusker View Post
No matter what business you are in, you still have a boss. Many folks are perfectly fine working within the confines of a big company for 30 years and doing what they need to do to get by in that environment. My dad was that way and he ended up with a very comfortable retirement.

Other folks like me desire to be want to go a path less traveled. I don't regret it.
My dad was that guy as well and they screwed him (and many others) over.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,332

UPDATE:

Today, my wife and I visited a "boutique" pet supply place that opened here 11 months ago. We are looking for an alternative dog food for our bulldog.

They have all sorts of high-end foods that are not found at Petco and Petsmart, plus iced dog cookies, chewy items, special collars, etc.

They said business is fantastic and they are tripling their space - they are adding a dog spa as well as do-it-yourself bays where you can bring your dog and wash him/her for a small fee.

This is the Starbucks of pet supplies - people freely spend bucket loads of cash on their high-dollar dogs. The iced cookies are $1.95 a piece and they can't keep them stocked!

If I was going to open a new business, this would be the one.

-- Steve Martin, "The Jerk".
Old 05-17-2017, 02:06 AM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

Forum Posts: 48
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHusker View Post
I hope that you make it happen. A good franchise is a great way to break away from corporate America.
Thank you. Will explore the franchise option as well..
Old 05-23-2017, 04:20 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 676

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing. I rarely venture past the first 3 threads so I missed this one. At this point how many hours a week do you estimate you spend on all your businesses? When you first started how many hours did you put in back then?